San Juan Capistrano, CA – A vibrant crowd cheered on the twenty-one competitors in the $30,000 Markel Insurance 1.45m Grand Prix at the Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park at San Juan Capistrano. With five in the jump-off, the fastest double clear performance of the class, Lane Clarke and the eleven-year-old Belgian Warmblood gelding, McLord’s T.K.O. (owned by Mickey Hayden), topped the field to take the win.
Course designer Marina Azevedo built the 1.45m track on The Oaks International Grand Prix Field, which included a triple combination, several related lines and a triple bar.
John Pearce was the first to compete in the jump-off round with Chantico, owned by Karen Ball. The pair set the time to beat, riding a tidy track, clean in 42.940 seconds. Clarke was next. Knowing what he had to do to catch Pearce, the veteran took advantage of his mount’s large step, stopping the clock clean in 42.898 to take over the lead by .042 seconds.
“The jump-off was really nice,” the winner noted. “It had advantages to the big horse and the little horse. He has a huge stride and turns well, so I knew I needed to gallop in the open spaces and be handy enough through the turns.”
Pearce was the final competitor to attempt the jump-off on his second mount, Firestone S. The pair had the winning time of 42.044s, but an unfortunate four faults put them into third place. The pair did earn the SmartPak Fastest in the West Award for their speedy effort.
Not Clarke’s first time leading the victory gallop, it was McLord’s first win. “He’s awesome. He’s fast for a big horse and has a lot of blood. This is his first year of Grand Prix competition, and he’s gotten some great placings but this is his first win. He’s been knocking on the door.”
This combination has a bright future ahead, “I’m building him up for the rest of this season. I think he’ll go on to do the 1.60m and World Cup eventually. I’d like to do Spruce Meadows and the big classes on him. This is really a great start to his Grand Prix career.”
Always gracious, Clarke said, “I’d like to thank my team. Thank you to Marina, who always builds great courses. And a huge thank you to Markel for sponsoring the series.”
$30,000 Markel Insurance 1.45m Grand Prix
Place – Entry Number – Horse – Rider – Owner – Faults/Time
1. 781 – McLord’s T.K.O. – Lane Clark – Mickey Hayden – 0/0/42.898
2. 713 – Chantico – John Pearce – Karen Ball – 0/0/42.940
3. 710 – Firestone S – John Pearce – Nicole Teague – 0/4/42.044
4. 835 – Ideal de la Hasse – Mitchell Endicott – Alex Trubey – 0/4/42.502
5. 659 – Interactive Mortgage 07 – Shawn Casady – Evette & Gregg Delong – 0/4/44.874
6. 671 – Valiant – Olivia Brown – Harley Brown Equestrian, Inc. – 1/85.369
7. 855 – Chin Chin – Arsia Ardalan – Tara Ardalan – 2/86.371
8. 485 – Quitana 11 – Savannah Jenkins – Georgy Maskery-Segesman – 4/79.117
9. 315 – Bella Sofia – Michelle Parker – Antonio Ramos – 4/79.814
10. 654 – Choose Me 4 – Austin Krawitt – A.E.S. Equestrian, Inc. – 4/83.047
11. 625 – Quadrigus – Gabriela Pattinson – Susanne Coleman – 4/83.872
12. 489 – Clint Eastwood 10 – Anna Ishiyama – Anna Ishiyama – 6/86.634
Photos by Captured Moment Photography ###
Markel Insurance Company is proud to once again partner with Blenheim EquiSports for another season of fun in the sun. Representative Brandon Seger will be on the show grounds to answer any questions related to your equine insurance needs. At the show and in the barns, Markel is the Insurance Company with Horse Sense. With offices across the US, Markel is your national insurance provider covering equine risks for over 50 years.
Thank you for your support – contact Brandon to get a horse, farm or liability insurance quote today: Bseger@markelcorp.com – 213-219-7837.
Markel/Lisa Seger Insurance Field Agent Josh Mullins is also available to answer any questions related to your equine insurance needs. Contact Josh at: email@example.com – 949-212-2970