Peter Petschenig and Saint Quentin Claim $40,000 Spring Classic III Grand Prix, presented by The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel - Hillary Ridland and Cambria M Z Win $7,500 Interactive Mortgage Horses 10 & Under Futurity
Peter Petschenig and Saint Quentin
San Juan Capistrano -
The grassy knoll of the Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park at San Juan Capistrano was filled with fans this Sunday afternoon as a crowd gathered to watch the $40,000 Spring Classic III Grand Prix, presented by The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. Peter Petschenig galloped to a sweeping victory aboard Saint Quentin in an unbeatable time of 40.24.
Thirty-six horse and rider combinations attempted to master the difficult track set by Puerto Rican FEI Course Designer Mauricio Garcia Ballesteros. Sixteen efforts resulted in fallen rails throughout the course, namely at the oxer at fence 8 and the three-stride line, fences 10 and 11, by the in-gate. The time allowed played a crucial role as well, as Ballesteros predicted it would. Eleven riders incurred time faults, two of whom cleared all the fences and were left solely with faults from the clock. Eight entries managed to navigate the 1.45-1.50m course fault-free, and Petschenig piloted three of those eight horses. He finished with unfortunate scores of four faults on two of his three jump-off mounts, but earned the overall win without question on his final attempt with Saint Quentin.
"He can be super fast," Petschenig said of his 14-year-old partner of six years. "I tried to stay on the inside track, but I didn't force it too hard because the other ones weren't that extremely fast. Today was lucky."
Petschenig noted with a laugh that he has never jumped a track designed by Ballesteros clear before. Today was a turning point, however, for he managed to pilot three to the jump-off, one of which was double clear. For the win, Petschenig was also awarded a pair of Roeckl Sports riding gloves and EquiFit MultiTeq™ front boots.
Robert Blanchette and Coupis were double clean and second
Peter Petschenig and Saint Quentin pictured with San Juan Capistrano Mayor Pro Tem Sergio Farias with his family, Carrie Borg with The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, and Lauren Davis with EquiFit
Hillary Ridland and Cambria M Z Win $7,500 Interactive Mortgage Futurity Horses 10 & Under
Hillary Ridland and Cambria M Z claimed the first of six Interactive Mortgage Horses 10 & Under Futurity qualifiers today. Ridland and the nine-year-old Dutch mare, owned by Carole Looke, went third in a jump-off of ten. They laid down the second double clear trip, but in an uncatchable 34.557 seconds.
Ursula Navet kicked off the jump-off aboard Ursula de la Roque with a double clear effort in 36.467. She ultimately earned third with the grey mare and fifth with her other mount, Cooper V. Second place went to Jason McArdle and Elicole for a double clear finish in 35.908. Though seven of the ten who attempted the shortened course crossed the finish line fault-free, no one could catch Ridland's blazing time.
Cambria M Z has been with Ridland for three years now, but the pair has taken it slow. It seems as though the stars are now aligning for the sensitive mare and her experienced pilot.
"In finding the right rideability, I haven't done a lot of speed," she explained, noting that she opted out of the inside turn to the last fence. "I did what I knew she could do comfortably, and she's fast! I didn't realize how fast she could be across the ground."
Hillary Ridland and Cambria M Z with the DeLong family of Interactive Mortgage
and Melissa Brandes of Blenheim EquiSports
Five more Interactive Mortgage Horses 10 & Under Futurity Series are scheduled during the Blenheim EquiSports season. Qualified horses will compete in the Series Final this September at The Blenheim Fall Tournament in San Juan Capistrano.
This afternoon of show jumping concluded an action-packed week. More highlight classes to come next week at the Blenheim Spring Classic IV, including the $50,000 Spring Classic IV Grand Prix, another $25,000 Markel Insurance Grand Prix, an Interactive Mortgage U25 Series Qualifier, and a $10,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby, honoring Arthur J. Hawkins.
$40,000 Spring Classic III Grand Prix,
presented by The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 322 - Saint Quentin - Peter Petschenig - Peter Petschenig - 0/0/41.580
2. 443 - Coupis - Robert Blanchette - Robert Blanchette - 0/0/44.681
3. 469 - World's Judgement - Lisa Carlsen - WJ Partners - 0/4/41.580
4. 101 - Con Spirit - Peter Petschenig - Nathalie Cooper - 0/4/42.048
5. 973 - Qantas 15 - Lane Clarke - Erin Rorabaugh - 0/4/43.445
6. 130 - Fellini 131 - Taylor Siebel - Mountain Home Stables, LLC - 0/4/45.620
7. 493 - Rocky W - Kaitlin Campbell - Kaitlin Campbell - 0/4/48.791
8. 314 - Vancouver 45 - Michelle Parker - Cross Creek Farms, Inc. - 0/8/42.613
9. 210 - Caretol - Marc Grock - Moonlite Beach, LLC - 2/86.351
10. 851 - McLord's Othelo - Kyle King - Mickey Hayden - 4/78.551
11. 908 - Skipio K - Patrick Seaton - Patrick Seaton Stables, LLC - 4/79.227
12. 233 - NKJ No Regret - Nicole Haunert - NJK Show Jumpers, Inc. - 4/80.733
$7,500 Interactive Mortgage Horses 10 & Under Futurity
Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 940 - Cambria M Z - Hillary Ridland - Carole Looke - 0/0/34.557
2. 769 - Elicole - Jason McArdle - Fairbanks Valley Farm, LLC - 0/0/35.908
3. 636 - Ursula de la Roque - Ursula Navet - Eric Navet Equestrian, Inc. - 0/0/36.467
4. 905 - Malbec - Lisa Carlsen - Lisa Carlsen - 0/0/36.877
5. 639 - Cooper V - Ursula Navet - Eric Navet Equestrian, Inc. - 0/0/38.351
6. 177 - Celtic Romance - Morgan Geller - Morgan Geller - 0/0/39.733
7. 629 - Calvara 13 - Jessica Odom - Jessica Odom - 0/0/40.603
8. 306 - CCF Caramel - Michelle Parker - Dana Nemeth - 0/8/36.740
Photos by McCool
Just minutes from the Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park at San Juan Capistrano, The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
is the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate while enjoying your equestrian experience. With astonishing panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and a strong heritage of personalized service excellence, the stunning seaside location will captivate your senses and inspire your performance.
Contact the resort's equestrian specialist, Carrie Borg, at 949-240-5022 or email@example.com
to tailor your visit and follow the ocean breeze from the perfect place to stay while enjoying the perfect place to be in 2017.
, a new company launched in 2015, finances new home purchases as well as refinancing a homeowner's current loan to help improve their financial position.
The company's goal is to bring an interactive experience to the consumer, which the consumer controls, rather than having a salesperson sell them on a particular product. With Interactive Mortgage, the consumer is allowed to be the deciding factor.
More at interactivemortgage.com