Kenneth Vinther and Collichio Victorious in First Markel Insurance Grand Prix of 2017 - Hannah Loly and Asombro Impress in Second Place
San Juan Capistrano, CA
- With an exuberant crowd gathered on the grassy knoll at the Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park at San Juan Capistrano, the Blenheim Spring Classic I presented show jumping sport with the first $25,000 Markel Insurance Grand Prix of the 2017 season. Six of fourteen starters advanced to the jump off, but it was local rider Kenneth Vinther aboard the young Holsteiner stallion Colicchio (pictured right)
who emerged victorious with a speedy double clear effort.
Course designer Catsy Cruz of Mexico built an inviting track to kick off the show season in San Juan Capistrano. Four riders finished double clear, and the top two stopped the clock within two-tenths of a second apart.
Hannah Loly, a rising star at just fourteen years old, who also won the 1.35m Jumper Classic on Friday, took home second place aboard Asombro with a time of 47.28, while Vinther and Colicchio clinched first in 47.09.
Both the first round and the jump-off allowed riders to flow forward which Vinther took advantage of. "It was the kind of course where you try to hit a good pace and then stick to it," the winner said, noting that his talented but green mount did just that. "My plan was to try to pick up a good rhythm and just maintain it all the way through, which he did."
Hannah Loly and Asombro take 2nd place
This Grand Prix win is a first for both Vinther and Colicchio. With fifteen qualifiers remaining in Markel Insurance 1.40m Grand Prix Series, the keen competition will continue in the ensuing months.
Kenneth Vinther and Colicchio with (front row, l-r) Renee Spurge, Lisa and John Seger,
Blenheim EquiSports President Robert Ridland, (back row, l-r) Melissa Brandes,
Blenheim EquiSports VP of Marketing, and Markel Insurance's Brandon Seger
This highlight event wraps up the Blenheim Spring Classic I. Stay tuned for more afternoon show jumping excitement over the next three weeks at this same location, including two more Markel Insurance Grand Prix classes, the $40,000 Spring III Grand Prix, presented by Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, and the $50,000 Spring Classic IV Grand Prix.
$25,000 Markel Insurance 1.40M Grand Prix
Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 268 - Colicchio - Kenneth Vinther - Kenneth Vinther - 0/0/47.091
2. 373 - Asombro - Hannah Loly - Hannah Loly - 0/0/47.286
3. 235 - Vespucci - Karly Lowe - Karly Lowe - 0/0/49.541
4. 302 - Skyfall - Alexandra Biederman - Kandis McGee - 0/0/52.199
5. 478 - Chestina Z - Bjorn Ikast - Bjorn Ikast - 0/4/46.326
6. 124 - Caylee PCH - Nicki Wilcox - Kristin Buchanan - 0/4/48.526
7. 467 - Darius de la Ferme Rose - Michelle Rodal - Morgan Hill Partners - 2/81.959
8. 401 - Colin - Michelle Kerivan - Michelle Kerivan - 4/75.511
9. 113 - Cambria M Z - Hillary Ridland - Carole Looke - 4/75.879
10. 384 - Lorenzo T - Carly Ramsey - Carly Ramsey - 8/76.966
11. 464 - Rallie Des Etoiles San Gabriel - Mauricio Ortega - Mauricio Ortega - 10/81.276
12. 381 - Will Do - Cassie Frost - Pacifica Riding Club - 20/74.815
Photos by McCool
ABOUT Markel Insurance Company
# # #
Markel Insurance Company is proud to once again partner with Blenheim EquiSports for another season of fun in the sun.
Representative Brandon Seger is available to answer any questions related to your equine insurance needs. At the show and in the barns, Markel is the Insurance Company with Horse Sense. With offices across the US, Markel is your national insurance provider covering equine risks for over 50 years.
Thank you for your support and don't hesitate to contact Brandon to get a horse, farm or liability insurance quote today: Bseger@markelcorp.com