Karl Cook and Caillou 24 Celebrate a Win in the $40,000 Racing Festival Grand Prix - Juan Manuel Luzardo and Stan Speed to Victory in the $10,000 1.40m CardFlex Financial Classic
Del Mar, CA - Exciting until the last horse crossed the finish line, it was Californian Karl Cook and Caillou 24 who came out on top in the $40,000 Showpark Racing Festival Grand Prix, presented by EquiFit, inc. Of the 43 entries, thirteen returned for the jump-off and five went double clean.
Karl Cook and Caillou 24
FEI Course Designer Anderson Lima of Brazil set a technical track that he explained was definitely influenced by the large and experienced group of riders competing in the class today. Interestingly, not a single rail fell from fences one through four, but each obstacle after those hit the ground multiple times. Several riders finished with only time faults, and a handful with only one rail. However, in this competition, only those that made it to the jump-off were in the ribbons.
Speaking after the class, Lima said, "The jump-off was really nice. Although it was a bit longer than usual, it turned out to be a very flowing forward track that covered the whole field. We got great results, with everyone really going for it."
With names like Jaime Azcarraga, Karl Cook, Chris Pratt, Juan Manuel Luzardo, just to name a few risk takers that can and will go fast, it was certain to be a thrilling jump-off.
First to return, Kasey Ament rode a clean but conservative round in 53.70 aboard KW Jump, LLC's Soren Z, forcing riders to be faster and clean to win. Azcarraga followed on his own Toulonia, shaving off several seconds and taking the lead with a time of 50.44. Galloping to the last oxer, Cook on his first mount Tembla (Signe Ostby, owner), as well as yesterday's 1.40m class winner, Luzardo riding Stan (owned by Mauricio Guerra), were both quite quick, but each had a heartbreaking rail for four faults. Arturo Pallada Vallejo changed the leaderboard when he rode Luciano Sergovia's Tarzan to a blazing lead in 47.86.
Arturo Pallada and Tarzan
Pratt and Concorde (owned by Epic Group, LLC) gave a gallant effort in 48.73, which ultimately ended up in third.
Chris Pratt and Concorde
Cook and Caillou 24 were the only other pair to go double clean. Leaving out strides and keeping a forward pace, Cook piloted the nine-year-old gray Holsteiner gelding to an amazing 47.68.
Cook purchased Caillou 24 as a young seven-year-old, and due to his size and scope, the training has been slow and steady. "Although he is still green and needs guidance, everything is there. He has such a big jump and a great big stride with tons of power. It is just controlling and curtailing that power that is key."
Click to watch Cook's blazing fast jump-off round
When asked about the jump-off ride, Cook said, "I had to leave out strides because he still isn't the fastest turner, and he jumps so high that you lose time. I just had to do my best on the straights to gallop and leave out strides, and luckily it all paid off."
Lima was impressed with Cook. "The winner deserved it. He rode the best track, made really nice turns and challenged the other riders."
Cook and Caillou 24 take the blue in the $40,000 Showpark Racing Festival Grand Prix, presented by EquiFit, inc.
Cook's show schedule takes him to Thunderbird for two weeks next, then a few weeks off, with the possibility that Caillou 24 will compete at the Rolex Central Park Horse Show in September. His other mount, Tembla, will do the Masters at Spruce Meadows, and then they will spend the rest of the 2016 show season on the West Coast competing at Longines FEI North American League events in Sacramento, Del Mar and Las Vegas.
Juan Manuel Luzardo and Stan Speed to Victory in the $10,000 1.40m CardFlex Financial Classic
On Friday afternoon, 63 competitors participated in the $10,000 1.40m Jumper Classic, presented by CardFlex Financial. With a jump-off of 16, the furiously fast class was riveting for everyone in attendance. Coming on the heels of a win last week, Juan Manuel Luzardo and Mauricio Guerra's Stan proved once again they are a powerful force. Speed was the name of the game as Luzardo and Stan were two seconds faster than second place Rodrigo Lambre riding Chapilot.
Juan Manuel Luzardo and Stan
Next week's Showpark August Festival, the last of a superb three-week series, offers a $25,000 Markel Insurance 1.40m Grand Prix on Friday, a $10,000 CardFlex Financial 1.35m Jumper Classic on Saturday, and a $20,000 EVet 1.40m Junior/Amateur-Owner Classic on Sunday.
$40,000 Showpark Racing Festival Grand Prix, presented by EquiFit, inc. Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 211 - Caillou 24 - Karl Cook - Signe Ostby - 0/0/47.268
2. 765 - Tarzan - Arturo Parada Vallejo - Luciano Segovia - 0/0/47.286
3. 435 - Concorde - Chris Pratt - Epic Group, LLC - 0/0/48.734
4. 703 - Toulonia - Jaime Azcarraga - Jaime Azcarraga - 0/0/50.448
5. 105 - Soren Z - Kasey Ament - KW Jump, LLC - 0/0/53.708
6. 556 - Stan - Juan Manuel Luzardo - Mauricio Guerra - 0/4/46.196
7. 224 - Cupilor - Michelle Parker - Cross Creek Farms, Inc. - 0/4/46.874
8. 218 - Tembla - Karl Cook - Signe Ostby - 0/4/47.145
9. 312 - Camerone - Lindsay Archer - Rhys Farms, LLC - 0/4/48.164
10. 881 - Magallanes - Santiago Martin Del Campo - Santiago Martin Del Campo - 0/4/51.893
11. 865 - No Limit - Jose Alberto Martinez, Jr. - Jose A. Martinez - 0/8/47.913
12. 408 - Parkmore Lux - Hanna Mauritzson - Ritz Fuente, LLC - 0/8/49.697
$10,000 CardFlex Financial 1.40m Jumper Classic Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 556 - Stan - Juan Manuel Luzardo - Mauricio Guerra - 0/0/41.012
2. 598 - Chapilot - Rodrigo Lambre - Mario Onate - 0/0/43.871
3. 195 - Daify - Susan Hutchison - Veronica Tracy - 0/0/44.255
4. 224 - Cupilor - Michelle Parker - Cross Creek Farms, Inc. - 0/0/44.908
5. 312 - Camerone - Lindsay Archer - Rhys Farms, LLC - 0/0/45.405
6. 105 - Soren Z - Kasey Ament - KW Jump, LLC - 0/0/46.101
7. 790 - Don L.S - Arturo Parada Vallejo - Antonio Mauro - 0/0/46.836
8. 488 - Cofino Fight W - Guillermo Obligado - Woodgrove Farm - 0/0/49.550
9. 865 - No Limit - Jose Alberto Martinez, Jr. - Jose A. Martinez - 0/4/42.209
10. 705 - For Fashion - Jaime Azcarraga - Jaime Azcarraga - 0/4/44.816
11. 372 - McLord's Arezzo - Mandy Porter - Mickey Hayden - 0/4/46.977
12. 602 - Chaccol - Rodrigo Lambre - Mario Onate - 0/8/44.469
13. 763 - Rumor LS - Diego Potes - Ernesto Milmo - 0/8/49.200
14. 623 - Ifran - Jacobo Saaib - Jacobo Saaib - 0/12/48.280
15. 595 - Taquin de la Nutria - Juan Pablo Jimenez - Juan Pablo Jimenez - 0/16/47.666
16. 209 - Balando - Karl Cook - Signe Ostby - 0/EL
Photos by CapturedMomentPhoto.com; Video clip from C-VID TV
As riders and ambassadors for our sport, EquiFit, Inc. is proud to be named the official horse boot of USEF. Always committed to delivering the best fit possible for you and your horse, EquiFit products are developed for riders, by riders. Visit EquiFit.net or visit your local retailer to see why EquiFit is the brand of champions.
CARDFLEX FINANCIAL AND CLIQ
A leading provider of innovative merchant processing services and prepaid card solutions, Cliq was created to help businesses of all types and sizes reduce costs, increase sales, and provide more efficient customer service. Headquartered in Costa Mesa, California, Cliq is committed to providing world-class products, services, and support to meet the evolving needs and goals of their customers. Further information at cliq.com.
For specific questions regarding press or media for our events, please contact Blenheim at 949-443-1841 or via email.