Double Hutch! Susan Hutchison and Ziedento Repeat the Feat This Week to Win the $50,000 Blenheim Spring III Grand Prix
Hutchison Also Outshines the Competition in the $10,000 CardFlex 1.35m Jumper Classic on SIG Excel
San Juan Capistrano, CA -
It truly was a super Saturday of show jumping in southern California. Blenheim EquiSports hosted two high performance events, the $50,000 Blenheim Spring III Grand Prix, presented by EquiFit, inc., and the $10,000 CardFlex 1.35m Jumper Classic, both on the International Grand Prix Field. Talent, speed, style and miles all played a role in the double win for veteran Susan Hutchison.
Susan Hutchison and Ziedento
Leopoldo Palacios admittedly built a tough track for the grand prix. "My courses, always, are little bit difficult everywhere. Even jump number one is a fence that they haven’t seen yet this week." The creative course builder went on to explain the nuances of his design, from distance challenges, to skinny jumps, planks on flat cups, three double combinations, a wide oxer early on and a tall solid vertical as the last jump. "I don't know how many will be clean, maybe six or seven."
Of the thirty-six who attempted Palacios' track, actually only five rode without fault. Second to go, Karl Cook and Signe Ostby's ASB Conquistador were first clean. The next few struggled, until sixth in the order, 2013 Spring Classic III Grand Prix winners and well-known duo, John Pearce and Chianto (Forest View Farms, owner), assured a jump-off with their clean round. Then Cook returned on Jonkheer Z (Signe Ostby, owner), his second of four mounts in the class, and made it a jump-off of three.
Fourteen more endeavored but accumulated a variety of faults including rails, often in the combinations, refusals, and time faults. But then the recently reunited team of Susan Hutchison and the handsome bay Ziedento (St. Bride's Farm, owner), who led the grand prix victory gallop last week, went clean. Of the next eleven riders, only one more went without dropping a rail, Josephina Nor Lantzman and her partner Chello Z, to make it a jump-off of five.
With this group of two young, talented and ambitious riders, Cook and Nor Lantzman, as well as two seasoned and speedy equestrians, Pearce and Hutchison, a thrilling five attempts at the top prize was guaranteed.
Cook had an early rail on ASB Conquistador, leaving the door open. Pearce could taste victory when he sped around the shortened course clean and fast, with a time to beat of 41.94. Cook did go double clear on Jonkheer Z, but not fast enough to catch Pearce. Hutchison held nothing back, and with a clean ride, she stole the chance of a two-in-a-row victory from Pearce, stopping the clock .8 seconds faster in 41.14. Nor Lantzman made a gallant attempt and would have captured second place, but had a rail for a fourth place finish.
With this win, Hutchison created her own double victory on a horse she rode as a seven and eight-year-old, who then went to the East Coast for two years. "I think Ziedento likes being back in California," Hutchison admitted. "He's won the grand prix two weeks in row!"
Susan Hutchison and Ziedento with Lauren Davis of EquiFit, inc. and Robert Ridland and Melissa Brandes of Blenheim EquiSports
Hutchison and SIG Excel Outshine Forty-five for the Win in the $10,000 CardFlex 1.35m Jumper Classic
It was a stellar day for Hutchison, as she also collected the top prize for SIG International on SIG Excel in the $10,000 CardFlex 1.35m Jumper Classic. The pair is on a streak. Hutchison offered the details. "She is one of my favorite horses. Between HITS Thermal and here she's been entered in 15 classes, won 14 and was second in the other. There are very few horses that you can get that many clear rounds out of. She just tries, tries, tries."
Susan Hutchison and SIG Excel
The speedy pair was second to go in the jump-off of six and set a blistering time of 37.70, almost five seconds faster than the leading time. No other rider could break forty seconds, until the last to go, Nayel Nassar on Baraka. The talented twenty-three-year-old tried, but couldn't quite catch the winning time, and finished second in 39.46.
After the conclusion of a fabulous Spring Series, which includes Sunday's $7,500 CashCall Mortgage Futurity class, Blenheim EquiSports moves the high performance action to Del Mar in May with the Ranch & Coast Classic, featuring another $10,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby, as well as a $7,500 CashCall Mortgage Futurity class, a $25,000 Markel Insurance 1.40m Grand Prix and the $60,000 Grand Prix of California, all on the gorgeous grand prix field.
$50,000 Spring Classic III Grand Prix, presented by EquiFit, inc.
Place - Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 257 - Ziedento - Susan Hutchison - St. Bride's Farm - 0/0/41.148
2. 896 - Chianto - John Pearce - Forest View Farm - 0/0/41.944
3. 315 - Jonkheer Z - Karl Cook - Signe Otsby - 0/0/44.115
4. 886 - Chello Z - Josephina Nor Lantzman - Josephina Nor Stables, LLC - 0/4/41.691
5. 310 - ASB Conquistador - Karl Cook - Signe Ostby - 0/4/45.316
6. 255 - SIG Zuleika - Susan Hutchison - SIG International - 4/83.180
7. 894 - Johnny B Good - John Pearce - Forest View Farm - 4/84.895
8. 679 - Zamiro - Susan Artes - Alix Fargo - 4/85.128
9. 762 - Alfie - Eduardo Sanchez Navarro - Eduardo Sanchez Navarro - 4/85.346
10. 854 - Clint Cristo - Julia Koetting - Westar Farms, LLC - 6/87.666
11. 733 - Mucho Gusto - Melissa Doddridge - Melissa Doddridge - 7/88.418
12. 327 - Socrates de Midos - Michelle Parker - Cross Creek Farm - 8/81.175
$10,000 CardFlex 1.35m Jumper Classic
Place - Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 252 - SIG Excel - Susan Hutchison - SIG International - 0/0/37.701
2. 306 - Baraka - Nayel Nassar - Nayel Nassar - 0/0/39.463
3. 349 - Famko S - Lindsay Archer - Gabrielle Cirelli - 0/0/41.023
4. 457 - Lorelei - Trudi Fletcher - Linda Smith - 0/0/41.474
5. 629 - Zanzibar - Tanya Levorchick - Megan Camaisa - 0/0/42.251
6. 826 - Chicago Lyngriis - Mary Claire McDonald - 0/4/42.355
7. 178 - E-Star - Sara Jorgensen - Sara Jorgensen - 1/79.828
8. 378 - Pugilist - Bretton Chad - Stone Ridge Farms, LLC - 1/79.971
9. 172 - Quattro - Kelsey Maloney - Eduardo Menezes - 2/80.327
10. 373 - Pizzazz B - Rebecca Bruce - Rebecca Bruce - 2/80.486
11. 516 - Casco Junior - John French - Danielle Walker - 3/81.064
Photos courtesy of McCool