Porter Flies on Con Capilot in First Class of the $25,000 Markel Insurance Grand Prix Series
San Juan Capistrano, CA -
How did world-renowned course designer Leopoldo Palacios decide what to set for a field of sixty-eight horses and riders in the $25,000 Markel Insurance 1.40m Grand Prix this afternoon? "If there were less entries I would build the same course, but a little bit more friendly. For example, with over sixty horses I won't use a pole over the water, I will make it an open water. The distances will be a little bit tougher, the time a little tighter."
The veteran designer aptly predicted 15 to go clean, when in fact 12 were fault-free and three had just time faults.
Congratulations to Mandy Porter on a tremendous win aboard the handsome Westfalian stallion, Con Capilot (Plum Creek Hollow Farm, owner). They proved their prowess edging out class leaders Susan Hutchison and Fortuna di San Marino (Ali Nilforushan, owner).
Mandy Porter and Con Capilot
Having the benefit of going late in the order in the first round and second to last in the jump-off, Porter knew what she had to do to steal the lead from speedy Hutchison, whose time was 35.62. Completing the jump-off with one less stride through the first turn and a solid gallop across the field, she stopped the clock in 35.41, taking over the top position by .21 seconds.
Susan Hutchison and Fortuna di San Martino
Nine other teams jumped-off, one chose not to return, with tremendous efforts that changed the top position numerous times. Less than four seconds separated the double clean rounds, with a time of 39.04 and clean earning eighth place. See full results below.
"Pilot is a super, super athlete - I can't say enough good things about him," Porter explained. "I think this is a fantastic class, thank you to Markel Insurance for sponsoring and Blenheim for putting the series together. It's a nice class to have your horses ready for the weekend and for some horses to be able to step up. It's very exciting that they have added this series."
Mandy Porter with Brandon Seger of Markel Insurance and Melissa Brandes and Robert Ridland of Blenheim EquiSports
$25,000 Markel Insurance 1.40m Grand Prix
Place - Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 702 - Con Capilot - Mandy Porter - Plum Creek Hollow Farm - 0/0/35.418
2. 839 - Fortuna di San Martino - Susan Hutchison - Ali Nilforushan - 0/0/35.628
3. 757 - Centium - Enrique Gonzales - Enrique Gonzales - 0/0/36.461
4. 874 - Semira de Saulieu - Lane Clarke - Charlotte Gadbois - 0/0/37.017
5. 618 - Conejito - Carol Wright - Carol Wright - 0/0/37.883
6. 867 - Lasse - Jamie Barge - Jamie Barge - 0/0/38.036
7. 458 - Acer - Hap Hansen - Geraldine Bidwell - 0/0/38.602
8. 822 - Centuria 2 - Gabriella Salick - Gabriella Salick - 0/0/39.043
9. 754 - Quilebo du Tillard - Enrique Gonzales - Enrique Gonzales - 0/4/36.073
10. 346 - SLF Bizet - Lindsay Archer - Shady Lane Farm, LLC - 0/4/37.342
11. 868 - Luebbo - Jamie Barge - Jamie Barge - 0/4/39.164
12. 886 - Chello Z - Josephina Nor Lantzman - Josephina Nor Stables, LLC - 0/NS
Photos courtesy of McCool Photography